In 2015, Firmenich named honey Flavor of the Year. But Omni Hotels & Resorts’ love affair with “nature’s sweetener” started long before. Six Omni properties are involved in beekeeping and incorporate their honey into culinary dishes and spa treatments. In 2015, it only made sense to take our obsession one step further and partner with the National Honey Board (NHB) to create a custom menu with honey-infused cocktails and fare.
Omni chefs, NHB Chef David Guas (author of ‘Grill Nation’ and host of Travel Channel’s ‘American Grilled’) and Omni Mixologist Kim Haasarud (author and James Beard honored-mixologist) got together for a two-day honey education, tasting and immersion experience at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort. Their collective expertise and ideas helped form this year’s Art of Water Menu featuring custom specialties with this seasonal flavor of summer.
Immerse yourself in honey and watch the video from the Amelia Island trip, learn how to make one of the specialty honey cocktails and explore Omni’s unique beehives.
One Sweet Summer
Buzz-Worthy Cocktail Recipe:
Wildflower Honey Punch
- 1.5 oz Cruzan Light rum
- 1 oz lime juice
- 0.5 oz clover honey water *
- 0.5 oz Finest Call Bar Syrup
- 1 oz Finest Call Watermelon puree
- 6 ea mint leaves
- Splash of club soda
- GARNISH: lime wedge + watermelon cube or ball + mint sprig
In a cocktail shaker, combine all the ingredients (except the club soda) with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into an iced plastic cup. Garnish.
Enjoy our special honey-inspired menu filled with the sweet or savory bites of summer available at select Omni properties.To see a complete list of the featured cocktails and recipes, visit OmniViews blog.
View Art of Water Menu
Omni Bee Hives
Seven Omni hotels and resorts have implemented beehives on their properties and have incorporated the honey into various offerings.
Check out a few beehive fun facts:
- Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort has eight beehives that churn out an estimated 1,200 pounds of honey per harvest.
- Omni Chicago Hotel is the newest hotel to join the honey craze. This is their first year having bees, and they won't meet them for the first time until the second week of June.
- Omni La Costa Resort & Spa rescued a swarm of wild bees that landed on their property. This hive has been operating for almost two years now.
- Omni San Antonio Hotel at the Colonnade keeps their bees on the rooftop of the hotel next to their herb and vegetable garden.The hotel offers guests small jars of “roof top honey” along with a card that tells the story of the honey bees arrival to the Colonnade.
- Omni San Francisco Hotel has five beehives on their rooftop, and the honey will be featured in the Grapefruit Ginger Mule, Tennessee Highball and Honey Blossom Margarita in Bob's Steak & Chop House Bar when they harvest early next year.
- Omni Dallas Hotel harvests close to 100 pounds of pure, raw honey. This honey can be purchased by the jar in Collections, the hotel's gift shop.
- Omni Interlocken Hotel near Denver keeps their hives on their Vista Golf Course’s 3rd hole, where they have lavender for the bees to pollinate. They incorporate the flavorful honey into various aspects of the hotel including their signature Honey Lavender Macarons, welcome amenities and exclusive dishes.